Sunday, June 7, 2009

Moxyland Free Sample by Lauren Beukes


Having earlier released a free sample of Kaaron Warren's Slights, Angry Robot Books now has released a sample of their other July release, Lauren Beukes' Moxyland.  Follow the link for the mulitple download formats Angry Robot has available.

Based on the short bit available to us, I am a bit torn.  The book works to introduce new vocabulary seamlessly, like major works such as William Gibson's Neuromancer or Anthony Burgess' A Clockwork Orange, but all I really felt was confused at first.  There is so much being thrown at you in the first couple of pages that many bits didn't make sense, or felt entirely unnecessary.  At the same time, however, I could feel that there was a lot going on with the story, and despite the confusion, it really drew me in, leaving me to want to figure out this place of odd slang and odder art.  Despite what I felt were weaknesses, I still look forward to this one, and I hope that it all comes together the farther along you read.  I must admit, from what I read, I have faith that Beukes could be the author to do just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment